On the way to Texas

This year we cross the Missouri River on our way to Columbia, MO. to see Cliff and Lavonne Custin. We are taking our time and enjoying the country even more.

Night time is rough for me as I am coughing non stop when the sun goes down. Nothing seem to help. I have bought every over the counter drug Wal mart has to offer. I even got suggestions from the pharmacy. Cough drops and sipping water are my staple during the day.

When we get to Columbia we follow Cliff's direction to the local Wal- Mart and unhook the car. We spend the night and do a little housekeeping. In the morning Cliff and Lavonne come and pick us up and we go back to their house and spend the day visiting . We go to their favorite sports Bar and Grill for a great lunch and back to the house. After Cliff fixes us a tasty supper and more talk, we are chauffeured back to the Motor Home for the night.

The boys are looking good!!



Rusty likes to keep a close eye on us. Babe is more relaxed and sort of ignores us.
Later that night I am still coughing and move to the couch to try a more upright position. At 3AM,, knock,knock on the door. It is cold windy and raining but there stands a woman in grey sweatshirt Hood. I ask what she needs and she hold up some kind of ID card , points to the north and says something about her son and needs to get a room for the night. I tell her to try Wal-mart [it is open 24 hours, and Ihop is right there also] she throws up her hands and says I tried there and walks away. I watch her wake up 3 other Motor Homes and then get into a SUV and drive to the front door. There she waits until a red pickup drives up and talks to the man. He goes in and comes back to her after about 10 minutes. She then drives away to the north. I felt bad for her, but in this day and age you just can not open your door to strangers, especially at 3 AM..
In the morning I talk to some of the other Motor Home people in the parking lot and they feel the same. One man gave her $5.00 through a window in his door. Later Cliff tells me the county has a great program for people in need but the just want money.

We stop at this very nice Visitor Center in Ill and take a picture of this pink and grey van that is packed to the roof. I mention that they must be traveling alone because there is only one seat available and that is the drivers seat.
Soon we are talking to the 57 year old lady who is traveling with her little pug dog from Rhode Island to California by herself. She sold her house and is not sure what route to take. When I mention a map she says "oh, I am not good with maps". She shows me a wad of notebook papers someone had written directions on. She asks what we think and how many states she will go through and what are they. She did have a Cracker Barrel map that showed the states. I point them out to her. As simply as possible we tell her to take I -55 south to 40 west to California and GOOD LUCK!!!.. Oh yes the dog rode on top of the stuff piled on the passenger seat.






Sunset through the windshield of the Motor Home while driving west on I 70 .
















--

No comments: